Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm an Aunt!

My little sister had her baby boy yesterday. I'm very happy that I got to go and see her and meet him, even if just for a little bit. And I'm so happy for her, although now slightly more freaked out about labor. She was in a lot of pain (they turned down/off her epidural while pushing and the post birth contractions were painful) and exhausted after a pretty hard delivery. She didn't labor for a super long time (13 ish hours), but pushed for well over an hour and was probably very close to a c-section. Her baby was born at 7 pounds 10 ounces at (approx) 5:46pm on January 17, 2010. He is beautiful, but so far doesn't really look like either my sister or her husband - at least to me.

We left our house at about 2:20, picked up my grandmother and drove up to Huntsville, about an hour and a half drive. We got there around four o'clock and waited for him to arrive. The drive up was fine - it was just long enough before I started getting uncomfortable. The drive back was better because I stretched out in the back seat. Seeing the baby was an eye opener. I mean, I've seen babies and newborns, but it really hit home for me what we're getting and how tiny they are. I am freaked out and totally emotional just thinking about it. Freaked out because he was so tiny (and at a normal birth weight) and fragile. And to think that M and I will soon (god-willing) have two, that could smaller than he is... it just is so hard to think about, and I'm worried about having TWO babies who are even smaller than that. I just want healthy babies.

I guess I just had always assumed that when my sister and I had babies, they would be big. We're all tall, my sister and I are married to guys 6' and taller and I was the smallest baby in my family at over 9 pounds, my brother was 11 something and my sister, the largest, at over 11 pounds as well. And its not that I thought I would have or wanted babies that large, but seeing him yesterday was just a real eye opener about how small my babies might be. And I know there isn't really anything I can do about it... I'm eating what I can, the babies are measuring on track and are slightly ahead with weight, but... man. Seeing her with him, just being fascinated by this little creature who was literally minutes old... and literally just inside of her, moving around... It just really makes being pregnant and feeling movement so much more special, knowing what is to come. And it makes it so much more real.

No comments: